**The doc lists the date of 2/2/14 but I don’t remember hearing about this before. Apparently Robel & his family can no longer afford the lawyer who has represented him thus far.**
Now comes Robel Phillipos, a defendant in this matter, and moves the Court appoint undersigned as his counsel pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 3006A.
As grounds for his motion, Mr. Phillipos states that he is no longer financially able to afford counsel. Mr. Phillipos further states undersigned counsel has represented him since his first appearance in this case, has conducted extensive review of the discovery, and appointing him to continue to represent him serves the interest of judicial economy and efficiency.
Undersigned Counsel is a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel of this Court and routinely accepts appointments from the Court.
On the advice of counsel, Mr. Tsarnaev has not made any statements concerning the substance of the charges against him during visits with his sisters. Rather, on one occasion, as the SAMs restrictions were being explained to one of his sisters, in an effort to put her at ease, Mr. Tsarnaev made a comment that might be characterized as jocular or gently mocking toward the purported security concerns that underlie the SAMs prohibition on repeating his statements to others.
Five former Guantanamo detainees are seeking damages for what they say were years of sexual, mental and physical abuse at the US detention centre, where they were held without charge or trial.
The men from Turkey, Uzbekistan and Algeria, who are now settled in other countries, alleged on Friday in a US appeals court they were subjected to forced nudity, sexual harassment and beatings, first in Afghanistan and then at the military jail in Cuba.
Justices will make their ruling in several weeks, but one of them, Judge David Tatel, said military and civilian officials at the Pentagon had failed in their duty.
"Their job is to protect the detainees from abuse, they failed to do so," he said.
Russell Cohen, lawyer for the men, said in the appeal: “From their earliest interactions with US soldiers and interrogators, Mr Celikgogus, Mr Sen, Mr Mert, Mr Hasam and Mr Muhammad were subjected to physical, mental and religious abuse carried out by US soldiers and/or civilians under the command of officials in the Department of Defense.”
Cohen said in the appeal three of the men spent two more years at Guantanamo after they had been cleared for release, and “continue to suffer the physical and mental effects of their detention, abuse and torture, and the stigma of their having been detained in Guantanamo”.
The US government argues that neither US nor international law applies.
"The US government acknowledges they were wrongly imprisoned for years yet refuses to compensate them and help them rebuild their lives," said Kadidal.
"Guantanamo may close one day, but as long as the Obama administration refuses to apologise in any way for what happened there, these men will carry their scars forever."
Men never charged or convicted of anything.